Odacité has received the best possible ranking from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, receiving a 1 out of 10 in toxicity level.
Our passionate endeavor is to bring you the freshest organic skin care available on the market without any toxic ingredients -- so you can be gorgeous and healthy for many seasons to come.
Recent studies show that 60 percent of chemicals applied to the skin are absorbed into the bloodstream. Some doctors believe that women are suffering from the effects of highly toxic skin care. Some of these poisons are directly linked to eczema, asthma, dermatitis and cancer.
Even our babies are contaminated. In a study released by the Environmental Working Group, an average of 200 industrial chemicals and pollutants were found in their umbilical cord blood.
Another study made headline news, finding residues from personal care products in human breast milk.
In 2004, a study found higher than normal concentrations of parabens in human breast tumor tissue. Today, parabens are widely used as preservatives in skin care. Medical concerns have been raised due to the estrogen-mimicking properties of parabens, as raised estrogen levels are thought to be a primary factor increasing the risk of breast cancer.
How much longer do we need to serve as guinea pigs?
At Odacité, we believe that cosmetics will be the next tobacco scandal and we want to make sure you protect yourself!
What you can do for your personal safety is buy organic skin care and make it a rule to not buy products that contain ingredients you don’t recognize, you can not pronounce or are followed by a number (except for Vitamin B).
The skin is a highly permeable organ. It is important to know exactly what you’re putting on it.
Below are some ingredients to avoid at all costs:
- Parabens: These are synthetic preservatives widely used in cosmetics. They cause allergic reactions, multiple skin irritations and have been linked to asthma, eczema and cancer.
- Glycols: We go as far as avoiding all glycols. The American Academy of Dermatologists showed that propylene glycol was a primary irritant to the skin even in low concentrations. It is known to causes skin irritations, dermatitis, eczema and hives.
- Petrochemicals: By-products of the petrol industry, petrochemicals are very cheap. They can clog pores and prevent the elimination of toxins, and they contribute to breakouts and acne.
- Phenoxyethanol: Often found in “organic” skin care, phenoxyethanol is a skin and eye irritant and may cause dermatitis.
- 1.4 Dioxane: Present when surfactants (laureth, PEG, Polysorbates) have not been manufactured through a process known as "vacuum stripping." Known to cause cancer.
- Phthalates: A hormone disruptor, phthalates are known to cause serious reproductive and developmental effects.
- TEA/DEA: Nitrosamine precursors interact with other chemicals in the product to form nitrosamines. Most nitrosamines are carcinogenic and can cause dermatitis, dryness and eye irritations.
- Formaldehydes: Also listed as: formalin, urea, phenol formaldehyde, methanal, methylene oxide, oxymethyline, methylaldehyde and oxomethane. Formaldehydes are widely used as preservatives (in some baby wipes) and are Group 1 carcinogens (known to cause cancer).
- Fragrance: Considered a trade secret, manufacturers are not required to list the ingredients used in formulating their fragrances, scents or perfumes. Most of them are made from synthetic chemicals that can trigger allergies.
- SLS and SLES (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate): Cheap detergents found in many “foaming” cosmetics, they may cause skin and eye irritation. These detergents can cause damage to the heart, liver and lungs.
- Artificial Colors/Coal Tar Dyes: Colors D & C: Red 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 17, 19, & 33, Green 5, Orange 17, RD & C Blue 1, 2 & 4, Green 3, Red 4 & 40, Yellow 5 & 6 are direct carcinogens. Some artificial coal tar colors contain heavy metal impurities, including arsenic and lead.